Kumasi High Court rules for Government, NSA and Ghana Police to pay Asante Kotoko supporter GHS1 million after he was shot in the eye at stadium - Footy Dreams

Footy Dreams

Your best portal for accurate and precise Sports news.

Kumasi High Court rules for Government, NSA and Ghana Police to pay Asante Kotoko supporter GHS1 million after he was shot in the eye at stadium

2 min read

Asante Kotoko supporter who was shot in the eye four years ago at the Baba Yara stadium wins GHS 600,000 case against the Ghana Police, the Government and the National Sports Authority(NSA).

The Kumasi High court on Friday, February 2, 2024 finally ruled that the NSA, Ghana Police and the Government should settle Augustine Oppong with GHS600,000 plus other charges amounting to a total of GHS1million.

According to the lawyer of Augustine, Sarfo Duku Esq who spoke with Sir Joe Laka on Kessben FM, If the money is not paid within a stipulated period after all technicalities are concluded, the court would give them permit to sell any Government property worth the amount.

The incident occurred when the Porcupine Warriors were pipped by Berekum Chelsea at the Baba Yara Stadium in Kumasi.

Click on the link below to watch full details on the ruling;



For 31-year-old Augustine Opoku, Sunday, January 12, 2020, will always be remembered with deep sorrow, anguish and regret.

It’s a day that will for the rest of his life remind him of how he fell victim to a police officer’s inability to exercise discretion.

The day promised to be exciting. An impressive start to the league season had seen his darling club Asante Kotoko pick six points from two matches and were going to play Berekum Chelsea on matchday 3.

With his two eyes glued in their natural positions, he left his house full confidence to cheer Kotoko to victory over ‘The Blues’.

In the course of the game at the Baba Yara Stadium fans’ angry and unruly reaction to a ‘legitimate call’ by the referee resulted in a temporary stoppage of the match.

Cool heads will prevail and the game will resume only for the chaos to escalate after the match.

A police officer’s bid to control the angry crowd resulted in him shooting straight into the eye of Augustine Opoku who per eyewitness account had no hand in the disturbances.

A flurry of condemnation statements were issued by all stakeholders. From the Ghana Football Association to the supporter’s body of Kumasi Asante Kotoko.

All parties promised their cooperation to the Ghana Police to investigate the issue and punish the culprits.

The Police in their first move interdicted the police officer whose identity has been hidden from the public and assured to deal with the matter with the alacrity it deserves.

Credit: portions culled from Ghanaweb.

Facebook Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *